Family of DUI victim ‘furious’ over former coach Brett Reed’s proposed plea deal

Missouri prosecutors will seek no more than four years in prison for a former assistant coach for the Kansas City chief BRIT RED As part of a plea bargain for a 2021 DUI crash. The accident injured Reed and five others, including 5-year-old Ariel Young, who sustained a severe brain injury.

Young’s family tore up the plea deal, saying they hope Reed will receive a maximum of seven years in prison.

“The five victims of this crime are outraged,” attorney Tom Pardo said in a statement. “The attorney general is not seeking the maximum penalty permitted by law. The defendant is a former criminal whose actions caused a 5-year-old child to fall into a coma and seriously injured three others.”

However, local lawyers say the deal is not in line with such cases, they expect the judge to take the four-year ruling proposed by the attorney general, and while the verdict will not be pronounced until October 28, they expect the four years to last.

“People who write the law say seven years is the limit, so that comes down to what you expect,” said Chris Scott, a Kansas City defense attorney and former attorney general. “The prosecution knows the facts of the case that the public does not, so if the prosecutors feel that four years is fair, I would say it is fair.

“Victims and their families will speak when the verdict is pronounced, but I would be surprised if the court did not follow suit [recommendation]Scott continued, “If a judge doesn’t follow those conventions nothing will be done. I’ve never seen a Jackson County, Missouri judge oppose them.”

Reed, 37, is the son of head coach Andy Reed. He admitted that he was legally drunk on the night of February 4, 2021 when he drove his Dodge Ram 84 mph on the 435 mph highway.

There he crashed into two parked cars in the avalanche lane. One of the cars had an engine problem before calling a relative to come and offer help. Young was among two children who were injured while sitting in the back seat of a vehicle that crashed.

Reed was working as an outside quarterback coach at Kansas City on the night of the accident. The Chiefs were preparing for this weekend’s Super Bowl against Tampa Bay. He was taken to the hospital after the accident and did not coach in the team’s loss to the Buccaneers. His contract was not renewed at the end of the season.

The proximity of the incident to the presidents’ offices and training facilities indicates that Reed may have been drinking while working. The team and Young’s family reached an agreement last year to cover all medical costs “for the rest of her life.”

Former Chiefs assistant coach Brett Reed seeks a plea deal in a DUI case that would prevent prosecutors from seeking more than four years in prison. The victim’s family is not happy about it. (Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images)

The young man spent more than a month in a coma and was later tube-fed but has made slow progress since then, including being able to attend some schools. However, her challenges continue, and the family did not accept Reade’s willingness to admit guilt.

Last week, when Reid first released a statement that he would plead guilty and express how sorry he was about the incident, Young’s mother, Felicia Miller, took to social media to convict him.

I wrote: “Push the word ‘sorry’ to your ASS in Facebook.

Miller and other family members wore T-shirts that read “Justice for Ariel” at Monday’s plea deal. Reed could receive a little parole. The judge can also ignore the prosecutor’s recommendation and sentence him to a longer period. The opinion of the family may influence this decision.

This is part of the family’s anger Reed has had a lifetime of substance abuse problems and past collisions with the law. In 2007, Brett Reed was sentenced to up to 23 months in prison for a road rage incident in Pennsylvania, where his father previously coached the Philadelphia Eagles (released on remedial).

Read also pleaded guilty to DUI and drug charges in a separate incident that year after he drove into a shopping cart in a parking lot.

“I regret what I did,” Reid said at Monday’s hearing. “I made a huge mistake. I apologize to the family. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone.”

Reed’s employment in Kansas City was almost entirely due to nepotism. He lacked a resume, not to mention a clear legal background, for a coveted NFL assistant job. Read did not say where he had been drinking before the accident, though he has previously told police he had “quit work” before the accident. The crash scene is located half a mile from the Chiefs facility.

There are no bars, restaurants or lodgings between the building and the onramp, if Reid had taken a direct route there. As an assistant coach, Reed was also subject to the league’s strict COVID policies, which would have prevented him from entering any establishment.

The team initially said it was “gathering information” about the incident. The NFL team’s facilities have significant oversight — including inside the building, so at that time, the NFL can monitor and investigate COVID violations.

However, the team has not released any findings publicly.

The heads of the agencies did not immediately respond to a request to make a statement on Monday. Reid’s sentencing date has been set for October 28.