Usually not paying for gas catches the man in court

He pleads guilty to 13 offenses, including theft, possession of weapons, breach of orders, drug possession, and failure to attend court

A local man came back to fill up his red Dodge Charger and not pay for the gas he caught on Tuesday.

Kevin Dubois was at Sault Ste. Mary’s courtroom to handle several charges stemming from incidents that occurred between July 2021 and early this month.

He pleaded guilty to 13 crimes, including theft, possession of weapons, violation of orders, drug possession and failure to attend court.

The 30-year-old, who had no previous connection to the justice system, now has a criminal record due to his “big” drug addiction.

He also faces five months under house arrest, followed by two years of probation.

“This is your first criminal record and you have the opportunity to make it your last,” said Ontario court judge John Condon, the father of three when he delivered the ruling.

“Whether it’s for yourself or your kids stick with it and make yourself a better person.”

The sentencing was recommended by Attorney General Blair Hagan and defense attorney Ken Walker.

The court heard that DuBois stole $72 worth of gas from the Wawa Esso station on July 8, 2021.

He went back to the same gas bar on October 1, filling his car with $75 worth of gas, and again he didn’t pay for the fuel.

Dubois told the host he forgot his wallet and promised to return the money.

Hagan said he left a folded knife as collateral but it never showed up.

On December 4, he did the same at Sault Ste. Marie.

Dubois was gassed in Circle K on the Eastern Third Line, and when his card was refused, he indicated he would return to pay the bill.

He didn’t, and when the employee realized he had done so in the past, the police were called.

“He had a history of not paying for fuel,” the assistant attorney general said, adding that his actions were videotaped.

A warrant was issued for his arrest, and officers stopped his car on Lenox Street two weeks later.

Dubois had a tube with a white substance on it.

A magazine with 10 rounds of 22 caliber ammunition was placed in the car.

On January 27 of this year, police were called to Tim Hortons on John Street to check the health of a man who had fallen at the wheel of a red Charger.

Officers noticed drug paraphernalia in the front console, a glass tube with white residue and a large knife screwed into his seat.

There was a baseball bat wrapped with chains and nails in the front area of ​​the car.

The crown said police found an ax in the back seat and sprayed it (a prohibited weapon) in the glove compartment during an additional search.

On May 10, DuBois was charged with theft for stealing merchandise from a Canadian Tire store.

Hagan said he was arrested outside the store after he left without paying for bike parts and spray paint, worth $231.

Federal prosecutor, Lindsey Marshall, said court police had been asked to inspect a vehicle on February 5.

They found Dubois asleep and there were drug paraphernalia in the console.

She said that when he woke up he was arrested.

He was searched and he had 0.06 grams of white fentanyl.

Dubois has been held in the Algoma Treatment and Remand Center since his arrest earlier this month.

Hagan said the proposed conditional sentence reflects the accused’s lack of a criminal record and his early appeals.

She said the Crown could easily have asked for a prison sentence, adding, “I hope” DuBois will get some help with his major drug cases.

Walker said his client came to court without a criminal record and “we’re going straight to a prison sentence.”

The defense said many other options, such as fines and suspended sentences, were bypassed.

“I told him if he breaks his conditional sentence he could end up in jail (in jail),” Walker told the judge.

“He has everything to gain through compliance and everything to lose if he doesn’t.”

Walker said crack cocaine and fentanyl were the drugs of choice for Dubois, a miner who was laid off from his job.

“We don’t want to give up rehabilitation” for a man with no previous criminal record, he told the court.

When he imposed the sentence, Condon said he was taking into account the guilty plea and the fact that Dubois was “clearly dealing with a major addiction” and still is.

The primary goal of introducing this joint provision is rehabilitation and this “benefits you and benefits the community,” he told Dubois.

“You are still young and have a chance to be a better person and father.”

During five months of his house arrest, Dubois can only be outside his place of residence for counseling and medical emergencies.

He is allowed to leave for five hours on Monday to get the necessities of life.

Nor may he be in the possession of any drugs, alcohol or weapons.

During the two-year probation period, DuBois must walk away from the business he stole and undergo counseling for drug use.

Condon ordered that he must pay compensation of $45 to Circle K and $146 to Wawa Esso before the end of the first year of the probation order.

He does not have any weapons or ammunition.

The judge also imposed a two-year arms embargo and ordered Dubois to submit a DNA sample to the national database.